by Chere Estrin
I have never seen quite a market as this one. For the first time ever, employers are giving high hiring bonuses to paralegals and other legal professionals – previously unheard of. These hiring bonuses are running anywhere from $3,000 to $10,000 or more. Salaries are running 10-25% higher than pre-COVID. Good candidates are on the market a very short time, sometimes as little as just a week or two. They usually get inundated with multiple offers, counter offers or the original employer increasing salary and perks substantially.
Some of the perks that firms are giving include:
- Hiring bonus
- Increased benefits
- Moving the candidate up a level in order to qualify for more expansive benefits i.e, more vacation
- Free gym
- Wellness center on site
- Mental health workers – yep! It’s true
- Bring your pet to work
- Pet insurance
- Free breakfast
- Taxi home and dinner when working late
- Professional dues
- Recognition as Best Places to Work
- Paralegals are invited to participate in associate-level trainings, practice specific trainings and lunches, as well as external training
- Tuition Reimbursement/LSAT Preparation
- Paralegal retreats atl A+ resorts (to resume after COVID)
- Participation in pro-bono initiatives, for which they receive full-credit toward bonus targets
- Fewer billable hours
- 100% remote or hybrid
- Opportunity to mentor jr. legal professionals
- Opportunity to sit in the deal room or go to trial
- Work lifesyle balance and reasonable billables
- and many more
These AmLaw 100 firms (the top firms in the country and internationally) hire the best of the best lawyers from the top 20 law schools and out of the top 20 law schools, they only look at the top 10% of the grade. This leads to challenging assignments throughout the firm.
I can’t think of a better way to boost your career. It used to be that these firms would have the attitude, “Tell the candidate that they will get to work in a prestigious firm.” That is so far behind today’s market. Many of the candidates are already coming from prestigious firms, so this is definitely not a enticement to leave. Couple that with candidates fearful of COVID and other concerns.
This is the age of the “Great Resignations”. Workers no longer consider just salary as an incentive to leave. They are reconsidering what is important in life – family, enjoyment of life outside of the firm; going after their dream job. Many have turned to entreprenuership and are quite happy.
I don’t expect this market to continue. It could be another six months or a year. However, as COVID decreases (are you getting your vaccinations?), the market is most likely to return to pre-COVID days. Stellar benefits and hiring bonuses will most likely go away. If you are going to make a move, now is definitely the time to take advantage of an unusual pro-candidate market.
I am not even touching the importance of a beautifully written resume and persuading LinkedIn profile (all employers go to LinkedIn and check you out). That’s a story for another day.
If you are considering moving your career upwards instead of laterally (more of the same), now is the time. Here are just a few of the positions we have available. I encourage you, should you be qualified, to check these out. Unfortunately, firms are holding to their hiring requirements. So, if the requirements are five years’ experience in a law firm as a blankblank, anything less will not be considered. You simply cannot send a resume for, say, a corporate paralegal with a background of litigation or workers comp. Won’t happen. Guaranteed.
A little bonus: If Estrin Legal Staffing places you as a Corporate Paralegal, you will receive a congratulations Amazon Gift Card for $1000.00.
Must have at least 5 years corporate paralegal experience. Firm will not consider your application without corporate paralegal experience that is mandatory.
How would you like to work with a worldwide prestigious firm handling Fortune 500 corporations and that position was fully remote? Our client is seeking several paralegals with corporate paralegal experience, preferably from major law firms. The firm has world-class advisory services in the technology, life sciences, real estate, private equity and financial industries.
Salaries: to $175,000 plus bonus plus possible hiring bonus plus fantastic benefits and overtime.
The areas the corporate paralegals are needed:
- Life Sciences
- Private Investment Funds
- Capital Markets
- and more.
The qualified Corporate Paralegal will have:
- At least 3+ years experience, preferably at a major firm
- BA degree; paralegal certificate preferred
- Stable work history
- Ability to work 100% remote
In this role, the Real Estate Paralegal will:
- Review title, survey and zoning issues
- Prepare property charts for multi-site transactions and coordinate diligence review
- Review leases and prepare lease abstracts and memorandums
- Prepare summaries, title reports, summaries and zoning reports.
- Coordinate resolution of title and survey issues
- Prepare landlord consents, estoppel certificates, subordination agreements, and prepare status reports
- Oversee Practice Support Assistant
- Review purchase and sale agreements and prepare closing checklists, critical dates charts
The qualified Real Estate Paralegal will have:
- At least 3+ years Real Estate Paralegal experience, preferably in Energy & Oil (but not required)
- BA degree and/or paralegal certificate preferred
Here’s an exciting Recruiter position with our company, a fast-growing, well-recognized legal staffing organization placing attorneys, paralegals and legal professionals nationwide with the top law firms in the country.
We offer a the Recruiter a fully remote position where you will source candidates and interview and place highly talented legal professionals. We offer a very cohesive team environment, fast-paced, highly involved position. The team is incredible!
Join our team now and put your career on a totally new and fun direction. We offer a base salary plus generous commission.
The qualified Recruiter must have:
- Some experience in a law firm or in-house legal department
- If no legal experience, must have a paralegal certificate and be familiar with legal terminology
- Passion for your work and desire to succeed
- Definitely a team player
- Recruiter experience highly preferred
- BA preferred